What documents we will need
Personal or Joint account
- Certified copies of 100 points of ID for each individual.
- Certified copies of 100 points of ID for each director.
- Certified copy of a bill or statement showing the company name and address.
- Name, DOB and address of additional beneficiaries or beneficiaries of a company holding more than 20% interest in the company.
Trust account (e.g. SMSF)
- Certified copies of 100 points of ID for each Trustee.
- Certified copies of these pages of the Trust Deed
- Cover Page
- Contents Pages
- Beneficiaries Page
- Signatory Page
- For a Corporate Trustee
- certified copies of 100 points of ID for each Director.
- certified copy of a bill or statement showing the company name and address.
- Name, DOB and address of additional beneficiaries or beneficiaries of a company holding more than 20% interest in the Corporate Trustee.
Certifying the documents
The following is a guideline on how to certify your documents to be submitted to us for the purpose of opening a new account.
A certified copy is a photocopy of the original document and certified as a true copy of the original by an authorised officer.
Please note we will need 100 points of ID – each document and how many points they are worth are listed below:
N = Name, P = photo, A = Address, S = Signature
|You must supply at least ONE Primary document|
Foreign documents must be accompanied by an official translation
|Foreign Passport (current)||N – P||70|
|Australian Passport (current or expired within last 2 years but not cancelled)||N – P||70|
|Australian Citizenship Certificate||N||70|
|Full Birth certificate (not birth certificate extract)||N||70|
|Certificate of Identity issued by the Australian Government to refugees and non Australian citizens for entry to Australia||N||70|
|Australian Driver Licence/Learner’s Permit||N – A – P||40|
|Current (Australian) Tertiary Student Identification Card||N – P||40|
|Photo identification card issued for Australian regulatory purposes (e.g. Aviation/Maritime Security identification, security industry etc.)||N – P||40|
|Government employee ID (Australian Federal/State/Territory)||N – P||40|
|Defence Force Identity Card (with photo or signature)||N – P||40|
|Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA) card||N – A||40|
|Centrelink card (with reference number)||N – A||40|
|Birth Certificate Extract||N||25|
|Birth card (NSW Births, Deaths, Marriages issue only)||N||25|
|Credit card or account card||N||25|
|Australian Marriage certificate (Australian Registry issue only)||N – S||25|
|Decree Nisi / Decree Absolute (Australian Registry issue only)||N – S||25|
|Change of name certificate (Australian Registry issue only)||N – S||25|
|Bank statement (showing transactions)||N – A||25|
|Property lease agreement – current address||N – A||25|
|Taxation assessment notice||N – A||25|
|Australian Mortgage Documents – Current address||N – A||25|
|Rating Authority – Current address eg Land Rates||N – A||25|
|Utility Bill – electricity, gas, telephone – Current address (less than 12 months old)||N – A||20|
|Reference from Indigenous Organisation||N – P||20|
|Documents issued outside Australia (equivalent to Australian documents). Must have official translation attached||N – P||20|
Who can certify documents
People from the following professional and occupational groups can certify documents:
- an accountant – member of a recognised professional accounting body or a Registered Tax Agent
- a person listed on the roll of the Supreme Court of a State or Territory or the High Court of Australia as a legal practitioner
- a barrister, solicitor or patent attorney
- a police officer
- a postal manager
- a principal of an Australian secondary college, high school or primary school
- a medical practitioner
- a Justice of the Peace (with a registration number in the State in which they are registered)
- a minister of religion
How to certify documents
Please note a scanned copy sent electronically cannot be certified.
- The original document must be viewed by the certifying officer and the officer must personally copy the original document and verify it by doing the following:
- Use a stamp or write by hand on the copy “This is a true copy of the original document sighted by me” on each page of the document
- Sign the statement
- Affix the official stamp or seal of the verifier’s organisation on the copy, if the organisation has such a stamp, and print the following details:
- Name and business address
- Contact telephone number
- Profession or occupational group (as listed above)
- Date verified
- If the certifying officer is a Justice of the Peace the certifying officer must list the registration number and Australian state/territory of registration
Are you still looking for the best stocks to buy in 2021? We've put together a free report on 5 stocks that we think are the best buys on the ASX right now. Download it instantly here.
Want to join the discussion? Head over to our Facebook group and join 6,000+ other investors and traders discussing everything stocks and stock market related.
This is general advice only. MF & Co Asset Management has not considered your personal financial needs, objectives or current situation. This information is not an offer, solicitation, or a recommendation for any financial product unless expressly stated. You should seek professional investment advice before making any investment decision.